Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Motivation

Some people hire trainers because they genuinely need help developing a well-suited, results-based, interesting, and effective program. More commonly, however, I find people hire me because they lack serious motivation. They know the basics, they're generally happy with their fitness level - but they can't seem to find the time/energy/reasons to get to the gym unless they make that appointment and financial commitment to have somebody breathing down their neck either literally or figuratively. Same goes for the people who can't seem to generate enough chutzpah to get up the last rep on a tough set. The mere presence of somebody you're accountable to helps you find that last bit of an ounce of oomph to get it up one more time.

People are motivated both by fear (I don't want to get fat, I don't want to be the last kid picked in dodgeball, I don't want a jiggly ass, etc.) or they are motivated by desire (I want abs like that guy, I want to feel stronger, I want to look good naked - even in flourescent lighting).

So I am sitting here in the middle of (one of) New York's gay meccas sipping on an iced venti unsweetened green tea. I'm avoiding doing work for school and instead I'm staring out the window. So many hot guys are out on the street today. The warmer weather really brings out the boys -- and in this hood, with at least three major gyms within a 3 block radius you get to see a lot of nice shoulders, arms, and legs. Ok ok, so you see a lot of people that you wish would go home and put on a snowsuit and/or walk around the back of the building - but still the good ones are worth waiting for the not-so-good ones to walk on by for sure.

Right now, walking by we have a dark-haired, medium-muscular guy in light blue mesh gym shorts, a sleeveless navy shirt, and blue nike shox. Now this, this is what I call motivation.

I never feel ugly until I sit at a Starbucks in a good old-fashioned, homespun gayborhood. How many cute guys can there really be wearing gym shorts and cute sneakers? You'd be surprised. How many well-filled tank tops or t-shirt sleeves pulled tight by awesome biceps can you see on any given afternoon? A lot. This is the kind of thing that gets me all riled up. When I'm working out I just keep my mind on the material, superficial, shallow pressure of life in gay New York. That's always good for getting me to do at least one more heavy set and another half hour of cardio.

Does this mean I'm just part of the aforementioned soul-less, shallow, superficial, body-obsessed gay clan? I don't think so, and I surely hope not. However I do remember being confused one birthday when my friend Michael gave me a copy of The Adonis Complex. Yet still, I refuse to believe I've sunk to that point.

For me it's all in good fun. I like working out, a lot. And yes, I do like eating celery more than I like eating chocolate. But the gym, and sweating -- that's what I do when I want to relax and that's the single best way for me to get out of a funk, in the mood for "love", and able to think clearly. Do I like the cosmetic results - I sure do, but only because I like to see progress. That's why it's fun to work with other people who have a goal in mind. The before and after pictures are an amazing artifact. The rest of the superficial crap is just a game - and who likes to lose at games? I don't. I lived my whole childhood with an overly competitive brother who kept Monopoly money hidden in his wallet so he could later use it to win the game.

Also, it's fun to have control over something. So much of my life feels dictated by other people: professors, bosses, parents, clients - but my body - that's something I get to play with and change. I like that.

That's why I was really brought back to reality recently by a comment made by "anonymous" to an earlier post. He said:

Gym? What's a gym?
I'm neither your first shower stall exhibitionist nor a locker room predator. I haven't been in a gym since I was forced into going back in high school (more years ago than I'd like to remember). Back then, I could easily have become hooked except that I was the brunt of serious torment. I was the non-athletic, bright, scrawny geek in my small town HS class. Worse, my peers figured out I was gay long before I even knew what gay was.


And so, today, I'm a shy couch potato, admiring serious brawn from afar, wishing that just once, one of the muscled gods I so worship would take me by the hand and teach me the ropes.


I think what bothered me most was how much I could relate to what he said. I hated gym class in high school and I avoided it at all costs. There was a moment in adulthood when things changed for me but I am still sometimes plagued with the same self--doubt that I felt when I was in the lockerroom looking at the most athletic kid in the school. I wasn't like him and I never conceived that I could be. Today he's an overweight, lazy, has-been. Everybody starts somewhere, and once the motivation kicks into a high gear - the sky is the limit. I just want Anonymous and the many guys like him to know that we're all a lot more alike than we are different. I say to Anonymous -- hire a trainer, a nice, understanding, qualified one. Oh, look at that - I have an opening next week.

7 comments:

Cooper said...

I know what you mean about liking to work out. For me, the gym is like a reward I give myself after studying all day. I always know I'll feel good afterward (sometimes sore, but in a good way).

Good luck with finals. When are you done for the semester?

jay said...

Excellent post.

I too feel like Anonymous sometimes. I also hated gym class when I was younger. The last thing I am is a sports guy. As much as I'm not really into sports, I do love working out.

And yes, my initial motivation for going to the gym is somewhat based on the superficial gay culture we all live in.

Whilst that may have been my initial motivation however, I find its shifted to simply liking the energy I feel after a workout or even the joy I feel when I step on a scale and see that my I've gained some mass.

I do sometimes need that kick however, because as much as I love working out, as soon I have too much work to do, I stop going and put that first.

For example, I have a weight training class at noon today here on campus that I will be skipping because I'm still up at 3:30 working on a paper.

It leads to some ups and downs in my weight. I typically either go down or stop gaining around April/May of each year.

Cooper said...

OK, I'm totally jealous that you get to celebrate the end of your semester before me - my last final is a week from Monday.

After all this is over, we should get together to watch the boys at SBux... :)

S.B. said...

Funny, I get motivated to work out, but then un-motivated at times. But even when un-motivated and I still work out, I still leave the gym feeling awesome. It's just being motivated JUST enough to get there is sometimes the problem.

Hamilton said...

nice post. I think I am one of those people who need two things in a trainer : financial obligation, physical support. I really lift a lot more with my trainer sometimes. I love it. It also helps that my trainer is a hottie lol.....

Keep the good postings coming. btw I chose chris!

Travis said...

I just need a basic workout outlines for me, and then shown and then I would also want to log it. Financial really does not effect me since I have unlimited tanning package and I sometime go a week and half and forget to go lol.

emily said...

I love this post! It makes me want to go work out RIGHT NOW.