Sunday, April 1, 2007

Common Myths, #1


Myth 1: There are no White trainers at New York Sports Clubs (NYSC).

So, an angry White lady posted something tacky about the trainers at NYSC on Craigslist, asking whether or not there were any "caucasian" trainers at the club. I often wondered the same thing, just not in that same annoying way.
When I moved to New York and joined the gym I saw no White trainers.
When I got hired, there I was -- the token White guy. I made the manager promise to keep me as the sole paleface - for the simple reason that it makes me memorable and easy to spot from across the gym. Since then, he hired two White girls and an old White man.
Granted, the two girls are gone now and the older guy looks like Bush - but for a while there the Whities were shaking up the industry norm.



No comments: